EDINBURGH to JOHN O’ GROATS MTB ADVENTURE
– 21st to 27th MAY 2022 (provisional)
COTSWOLDS 200 – SUMMER 2022
A Challenging Mtb Experience…
The Solstice 100
Saturday 25th September 2021
The Pomfret Arms, 10 Cotton End, Northampton, NN4 8BS
This 100 km mountain bike sportive takes place close to the Autumn Equinox (exactly 3 months after the Summer Solstice!) and marks the end of summer and the beginning of Autumn. This annual event has been delayed due to Covid restrictions so we’ve had to shorten the route from the usual brutish 100 miles to a slightly more manageable 100km because of a lot less daylight hours at this time of year!
The Solstice 100 is back for a seventh year and is once again hosted by The Pomfret Arms.
As always, this year’s event will feature yet another interesting new route.
The route, around 70% off-road, starts and finishes in Northampton and will traverse the beautiful rolling countryside of South Northants and Buckinghamshire. Highlights on this year’s route include miles of singletrack in and around the Milton Keynes area.
The trails will consist of bridleways, byways, double & singletrack, cycle paths, forest tracks and quiet lanes, all with a wide variety of surfaces. There are no mountains, but this single loop event is one of the longest of its kind in the UK.. Are you up for the challenge?
The Pomfret Arms, a bike friendly pub close to Northampton town centre, will host this event and will once again be serving a special beer for the occasion, produced at their on-site micro-brewery. A pint of ‘Solstice 100’ will be a light and refreshing ale – a perfect thirst quencher after all day in the saddle! There will also be food available at The Pomfret from mid afternoon.
Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with all the event news..
Entry fee is just £25.00
What’s included in the entry cost ?
– Fully detailed 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey mapping with clearly marked route
– GPX files of route
– Vehicle back up for major bike mechanicals (not punctures!)
– Public liability insurance for all entrants
– Water & Feed station en route
– What type of bike would be suitable for this event?
Hardtail or full suspension mountain bikes and cyclocross/gravel bikes would all be fine.
– Will event run in bad weather?
Yes, for example if part of the route is flooded, a diversion will be in force.
– What time does event start?
Signing on will be from 8.00am to 9.00am.. The event will be a mass start scheduled for 9.05am.
– I’m planning on arriving the night before, is there anywhere to camp/stay?
There are numerous budget hotels in and around Northampton and a very large campsite for tents, camper vans, caravans etc at the nearby Billing Aquadrome.
– Is the whole route signed?
No, only some of the more trickier to follow sections will be signed. However, using the gpx files (which will be emailed to entrants before the event), will be the best and least time-consuming method of navigation. Fully detailed OS maps will also be provided to make navigation easy.
– Can I enter on the day?
Yes, unless event is sold out. (NB. On day entry will be £28 – cash only)
– What happens if i can’t make it to the finish?
We can ‘sweep’ you up and take you to the finish – but there will be a charge, dependent on where you are! Alternatively, with a small detour, It would be possible to get a train back to Northampton from either Milton Keynes Central or Wolverton.
– An external power pack is handy for keeping phones and GPS units topped up
– A rear light is useful for safety reasons when riding on roads
– Full size OS maps could be useful if you need to bail and look for short-cuts! The map number is OS Landranger 152 (NB: This can be borrowed from libraries)